Wednesday, June 10, 2020

How do I choose wild mushrooms?



Every time I go hunting and collecting mushrooms, I get up early, as soon as the sun rises. I make coffee and some sandwiches to take them to lunch. Mushroom hunting is usually a time consuming task and a couple of hours of outdoor activity in the fresh air makes me hungry. I grab my organized tools the night before and proceed. To avoid wasting valuable time early in the morning, I take my snacks and eat them while traveling.
It is definitely quite smart to start mushroom hunting as soon as possible because early morning light helps you find edible mushrooms and a refreshing atmosphere helps you smell them. Other mushroom pickers are unlikely to interrupt it, and by lunch you'll end up leaving the entire afternoon to clean and prepare mushrooms.

So, I get to the selected private forest and look at the trees and bushes. I head towards the pine and fir trees, checking the surface covered by fine pine and fir needles. Occasionally, here and there I see green moss. For starters, I inspect these sites with moss, as there is more moisture than mushrooms appreciate. I'm looking for the convex shaped Fresh Morel Mushrooms cap (curved outward) (most wild edible pore mushrooms are convex cap shaped). It will be tinted in any shade of brown, from light brownish-yellow to dark brown. Pine trees tend to find more typical wild mushrooms with a dark brown convex layer.

After that, I walk towards the oaks and bushes where I look for the convex shape of the colors, as explained above. That is, to some extent, a more challenging activity, mainly because in the forests with larches there is usually a large amount of leaves on the surface and the mushroom heads have been disguised only by having colorations of that foliage. So, I should stare at the ground, flip the foliage if I think there are covered mushrooms there. Among the oaks there are many wild mushrooms with light or dark brown heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment